- What are the criteria for being featured on the Quant Mashup?
- Where can I get a snazzy Quantocracy badge for my website?
- How do I get my quant conference/event listed on Quantocracy?
- Motivation: How does this site make money?
What are the criteria for being featured on the Quant Mashup?
The links that make it onto our Mashup must meet three requirements:
- They must be quantitative in nature. They might be entirely overfit and destined for out-of-sample failure, but an attempt must be made to reach a conclusion empirically.
- They must be reproducible. Showing the backtested results of your super secret black box doesn’t help anyone. I don’t require that bloggers provide code or even very specific rules, but I do require that a reader would have a reasonable chance of reproducing the results.
- They must be current. I almost never include links not posted within the last 48 hours. Quantocracy isn’t about me doing research on your behalf and pulling out links from years gone by. That would mean this site represented my voice. Quantocracy is about showing you everything new and interesting and letting you choose what speaks to you, so that this site represents all of our voices.
Importantly, note that inclusion in the mashup doesn’t necessarily mean that I endorse a link. To the contrary, I sometimes disagree with links you’ll find here, but I still include them because (a) I’m not the end-all-be-all judge of quality, and (b) at the very least, I hope that they’ll generate ideas and drive this collective discussion forward.
Have a site or link you’d like featured on Quantocracy? Please contact us.
Where can I get a snazzy Quantocracy badge for my website?
First off, a big mahalo. Quantocracy is a community effort, and we rely on folks like you to spread the good word. It’s an honor to have a bit of your site’s real estate dedicated to our humble community.
You’ll find our badges in two sizes below. The smaller one is 130×130 pixels, more or less the same size as the popular Seeking Alpha badge. The second is 180×180 for those who wish to show us a bit more love. We’ve also provided them on both a transparent and white background. Please link badges to https://quantocracy.com.
How do I get my quant conference/event listed on Quantocracy?
We love supporting these kinds of IRL efforts. If your event is relevant to our audience, we can offer the following:
1. A link to your event on the Mashup. We’ll give it top billing for ~48 hours.
2. A follow up link on the Mashup as we get closer to the event. You’ll just need to let us know at a future date when you would like us to do that.
3. We can also add you to our banner ad rotation: 300×250 pixels and/or 768×90 pixels.
In return, we just ask for a media partner image and link somewhere reasonably visible. You can find our logo images here.
Interested? Please contact us.
Motivation: How does this site make money?
I’m going to err on the side of oversharing here because I view this community we’re building as “ours” as opposed to “mine”, and I think it’s only right and fair to give you a look under the hood.
How does Quantocracy make money? Well essentially it doesn’t. This is not intended to be a money-making venture. I judge our success or failure solely based on the growth in readership of the quant community.
This site has three sources of revenue:
1. We earn a few shekels when you click on a book and order something through Amazon.
2. We earn a few more shekels when you click on a link to Allocate Smartly, Quantpedia or the Robot Wealth Algo Bootcamp, and sign up. Those sites do good work and we would link to them anyways, but they offer affiliate programs, and it would be a waste not to take advantage of them.
3. Lastly, we recently added what we hope are unobtrusive Google Ads to the mashup.
I realize that I could do a lot more to monetize this site, but in all honesty, it doesn’t interest me. I get approached by marketers all the time, but I feel that route just detracts from what we’re trying to accomplish here.
So that’s it, an incredible business failure =) Seriously though, seeing the growth in this community versus when we started has made me very happy. I’d like to think that some good work has come out of all of this that might not have otherwise.